Video SpotlightGROW in WINNIPEG: Information, Communications and Technology
Information, Communications and Technology
Grow Smarter: Innovation and Intelligent
Get connected to a dynamic cluster of information, communications and technology (ICT) innovators that include telecommunications firms, film and animation studios, computer system designers, electronic component manufacturers, computer equipment providers and wire/cable suppliers. cyber security, e-learning, mobile app development
Advanced fibre optics and digital-switching platforms support geographic information systems, health informatics, consulting services and software development. Innovation and creativity are plugged into every area, supported by Winnipeg’s economic advantages, talented professionals and telecommunications infrastructure.
Imaginative innovators keep growing smarter in Winnipeg.
Winnipeg’s large and small ICT firms contribute to a vibrant, entrepreneurial and diverse sector serving growth markets throughout the world. The city’s low business costs help ICT companies competing in these global markets achieve better profit margins, prompting many to reinvest more of their earnings toward developing new intellectual property assets or other growth strategies.
Major ICT firms—including IBM and HP Enterprise Services—have operation hubs in Winnipeg. The city is also the headquarters of MTS Allstream, one of Canada’s largest telecommunications network providers.
A highly innovative and entrepreneurial developer community exists here as well, with many high-tech start-ups recognized for providing world-class products and quality of service. The small-town friendliness of Winnipeggers offers ICT developers an opportunity to gain access to major decision-makers in a variety of industry verticals. The head offices of more than 30 of Canada’s largest companies and public-sector institutions are based in Winnipeg, giving developers opportunities to serve a diverse client base with worldwide networks.
- Employment in the ICT sector increased 10 per cent from 2007 to 2012.
- ICT companies in Winnipeg earn revenues in excess of $1.2 billion per year.
- Winnipeg’s ICT sector is highly export-focused, with exports of about $294.9 million in ICT goods per year (and additional exports of ICT services).
- Approximately 1,815 ICT businesses in Winnipeg employ a workforce of 18,275 people.
- Winnipeg’s digital interactive companies produced an average of 23.6 new media projects per company and generated $38.8 million in revenue in 2011.
- Winnipeg’s software firms experienced the highest profit margins in Canada from 2009 to 2011.