Both the City of Winnipeg and the Province of Manitoba are committed to ensuring the continued existence of an environment that is supportive of economic growth and innovation.
Public-led business development services play an important role in the formation and development of industry sectors in Winnipeg, Manitoba.
Role of the Provincial Government - Government of Manitoba
- Administer and deliver services such as health care, education, social assistance, child care, road maintenance and upgrading
- Funded mainly through federal government and taxes
- Delivery of Business Assistance Programs and Business Tax Incentives
- Regulatory Investment, Operations and Trade
Role of the Municipal Government - City of Winnipeg
- Deliver services such as water, sanitation and sewers, fire and ambulance, road maintenance and garbage collection
- Governed by City Council, which consists of 15 city ward representatives and is headed by the Mayor, who also serves as the Chief Officer of the city
- The Mayor appoints a Deputy Mayor, an Acting Deputy Mayor, chairpersons of Standing Committees of Council and any other members of Executive Policy Committee
Council duties include:
- Enactment of by-laws
- Current and capital budgets, setting the mill rate
- Fees for civic services and facilities
- Department head appointments
- Contract approvals
- Legislation requests and land purchases
The City of Winnipeg and the Province of Manitoba are committed to working together and dedicating the necessary resources to attract business investment to Winnipeg. Both the City and the Province are prepared to enter into discussions with potential investors in order to ensure a clear understanding of the investors’ specific needs, and to enable the community as a whole to take all necessary steps to best meet those needs.
To discuss Economic Development in Winnipeg, please contact:
Senior Manager, Strategic Research
E: Edward Suzuki