ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT WINNIPEG INC. HOSTS ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING, LAYING GROUNDWORK FOR FUTURE GROWTH AND DEVELOPMENT
Winnipeg, MB – Economic Development Winnipeg Inc. hosted their annual general meeting on Thursday April 14, 2011 with the key message of stimulating economic growth in the city. A year after restructuring and developing the new Economic Development Winnipeg and Tourism Winnipeg brands, the group presented a clear, concise organizational framework with which to move forward.
At the meeting, Economic Development Winnipeg Inc. was presented with a plaque from Destination Marketing Association International (DMAI) for completing their Destination Marketing Accreditation Program (DMAP). The program consists of a set of voluntary standards designed to enhance performance, improve best practices and increase credibility.
Highlights of 2010 include:
• Signed a Memorandum of Understanding with the Winnipeg Chamber of Commerce that recognized Yes! Winnipeg as a new initiative to help attract, retain and expand business in the city.
• Joined with 11 other Canadian cities to create the ConsiderCanada brand, designed to attract foreign investment and trade to the country.
• Played a critical role in advancing Winnipeg as a globally recognized Intelligent Community, resulting in the city being named one of the world’s Smart21 Communities for 2011.
• Participated and supported TEDxManitoba and MindSet, two conferences designed to showcase Winnipeg’s technology sector.
• Developed a five year Master Tourism Plan to establish Winnipeg as a four-season destination for meetings and conventions; sports and special events; and travel trade and leisure travel.
• Co-hosted Rendezvous Canada with Travel Manitoba, the premier international marketplace for buying and selling Canadian tourism products attracting 300 international buyers and 900 sellers.
• Managed the Special Event Tourism Fund, in partnership with the City of Winnipeg, to further enhance Winnipeg’s success in attracting national and international events.
• Hosted 185 meetings and conventions with more than 51,000 delegates and an estimated $48 million in direct spending.
Looking forward, Economic Development Winnipeg Inc. has already secured 196 future meetings and conventions to be held between 2010 and 2016, and has secured 27 future sports and special events to be held into 2013.
Download a copy of the 2010 Annual Report.
About Economic Development Winnipeg Inc.
Led by a private sector board, Economic Development Winnipeg Inc. is an arm’s-length organization focused on economic development and tourism development. Economic Development Winnipeg Inc. is strategically focused on being a leader in stimulating economic growth for the city of Winnipeg.
For further information contact:
Manager, Communications and Media Relations
Economic Development Winnipeg Inc.