Director of Talent
Economic Development Winnipeg, through its business development team of YES! Winnipeg, is looking for a dynamic, engaging, and connected business professional who is passionate about Winnipeg and its future, and interested in making a meaningful impact on our community. If you believe in our city and are a natural ambassador for what makes Winnipeg great, consider joining our dynamic and growing team!
The Director of Talent and Workforce Development is responsible for enhancing, managing and executing all aspects of YES! Winnipeg’s new talent attraction and retention strategy. Dynamic, engaging, and persuasive, the Director works with fast-growing Winnipeg companies to advise and facilitate their access to and retention of top talent in support of the City’s economic growth. The Director of Talent manages the talent attraction and retention team (Talent Team), and is responsible for leading and supporting Talent Team members in their day-to-day work of identifying, aligning, and promoting talent channels for the benefit of companies operating in or considering expansion to Winnipeg and the region. The vision for the Talent Team is to be Winnipeg’s experts in helping existing companies and new investors attract and retain the talent they need to grow.
Reporting to the VP of Sales and Business Development and working closely with other EDW Directors, the Director of Talent collaborates with and leverages the YES! Winnipeg business development team and a network of local partners to deliver on the Talent Strategy, providing services to business, and building and maintaining relationships with executives in government, post-secondary institutions, non-profit organizations, and private sector companies to strategically address Winnipeg’s talent needs.
· Lead the Talent Team in fulfilling the Talent Strategy’s mandate of supporting and undertaking talent attraction in Winnipeg, promoting and creating talent channels, providing exceptional client service, and coordinating the jurisdiction’s approach in addressing current and future talent needs
· Build an annual strategic plan in collaboration with other EDW Directors and the YES! Winnipeg team, identifying clients that require talent coordination services and providing advice and solutions that address their talent needs
· Deliver and execute on the multi-year strategy, ensuring work aligns with the Talent Team’s mandate and track progress toward the Talent Strategy’s deliverables
· Provide guidance and mentorship to the Talent Team, leading and guiding individual and team accountability through management of the Talent Team’s key performance indicators
· Build a knowledge repository of local, national, and international talent channels, as well as expertise in the talent ecosystem in Winnipeg, in support of partners and client service provision
· Maintain relationships with key contacts in government, post-secondary institutions, non-profit organizations, and the private sector companies to align and advance talent-related strategic objectives
· Work collaboratively with municipal, provincial, and federal government partners from relevant departments, aligning and advancing these relationships to deliver on EDW corporate priorities while maintaining political awareness and sensitivity
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
· An inspiring and intuitive leader with the ability to communicate and sell a vision
· Energetic, hard-working and passionate about strengthening Winnipeg’s economy
· A natural self-starter, ability to work proactively and manage a diverse portfolio of files
· Strong judgement and the ability to anticipate and diffuse potential issues before they occur
· Ability to think creatively and work well independently and within a team environment
· Strong aptitude for strategic networking and relationship building
· Flexible and adaptable with the ability to multi-task and respond in a dynamic environment
· Results-driven and detail-oriented
· A strategic thinker with superb analytical skills
· Excellent business acumen and an understanding of the importance of talent attraction and retention as a key driver of business growth
· Politically astute, with basic understanding of the language of government and how to work with it effectively
· Excellent communicator, including superior presentation, listening and writing skills
· Exceptional professionalism and the ability to present well in representing Winnipeg and EDW at the C-suite level
A minimum of 3-5 years’ management / leadership experience as well as a minimum previous 5-7 years’ professional experience in a related human resources or business development role Bachelors or Master’s degree in a business-related field A successful track record of project management and execution Background in strategic human resources, business development, or a related discipline Experience delivering results in a fast-paced, multi-disciplinary business environment Computer literacy/proficiency with Microsoft Office products and CRM platforms
Willingness and ability to travel within Canada and internationally (between 2-5 trips annually) Class 5 driver’s license, a clean driving abstract and access to a vehicle French language skills are an asset
If your passion for Winnipeg is matched by your proven track record in business development and your strong ability to build rapport with diverse clients and suppliers, this exceptional opportunity is ideal for you. Interested candidates can apply by submitting cover letters and resumes to email@example.com. Written applications will be accepted until 9 am Monday, July 15, 2019 and applicants of interest will be contacted for an interview.