Business Development Manager – Foreign Direct Investment
The Business Development Manager – Foreign Direct Investment is a senior position on the YES! Winnipeg Business Development Team, responsible for supporting new private-sector job creation, investment, business-to-business relationships and business event attraction in Winnipeg and region. The Business Development Manager works with the sector teams to promptly work with potential foreign investors and develops strong relationships with foreign owned business located in the Winnipeg region.
- Conduct aftercare meetings with foreign-owned companies located in the Winnipeg region, taking the time to understand businesses opportunities and challenges and tailoring client services accordingly.
- Work with YES! Winnipeg’s partnerships and lead generation channels & tools to proactively identify and connect with potential foreign companies that can leverage Winnipeg’s value proposition for business in the city’s core economic sectors.
- Deliver consistently high levels of client service and cultural appropriateness, differentiating Winnipeg not just through our sector value proposition, but also through the strength and speed of the investment facilitation services provided by YES! Winnipeg in coordination with the business development team.
- Utilize knowledge of Winnipeg’s local industry ecosystem to provide information, services, advice, and connections to qualified international clients.
- Build and maintain business knowledge of Canada’s international strategies and free trade agreements.
- Lead through collaboration with our partners by identifying, building and maintaining key relationships with clients, investors, industry associations, business groups and other organizations and stakeholders in Canada and in key international markets.
- Work collaboratively with municipal, provincial, and federal government partners, aligning and advancing these relationships to deliver on EDW corporate priorities while maintaining political awareness and sensitivity.
- Contribute to YES! Winnipeg strategic planning cycle as appropriate by establishing market-based business development plans in support to the FDI departmental plan and of the overall corporate plan. Business Development Manager accountability includes market of focus, business activities, targets and deliverables, resources required, budget planning/management, and demonstration of value for money.
- Work with the Market Intelligence team to track and analyze related economic risks and opportunities, investment trends, and technological advances in identified international markets to inform Winnipeg’s sector value proposition and competitive investment position.
- Work with the Marketing & Branding team to customize the messaging around the Winnipeg value proposition to international audiences.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Strong multicultural abilities to work effectively and respectfully with foreign business people.
- Bilingual/multilingual, ability to communicate in English and an at least one additional language fluently.
- Energetic, hard-working and passionate about strengthening Winnipeg’s economy.
- A natural self-starter, ability to work proactively and manage a diverse portfolio of files..
- Strong judgement and the ability to anticipate and diffuse potential issues before they occur.
- Ability to think creatively and work well independently and within a team environment.
- Strong aptitude for strategic networking and relationship building.
- Excellent business acumen and understanding of what a business needs to succeed.
- Politically astute, basic understanding of the language of government and how to work with it effectively
- Excellent communicator, including superior presentation, listening and writing skills.
- Bachelors or Master’s degree in a business-related field
- Minimum 5-7 years of professional experience and previous success identifying, advancing and closing opportunities in sales/strategic business development-related roles
- Professional experience in international business and investment attraction
- Computer literacy/proficiency with Microsoft Office products as well as CRM and virtual platforms
- An acceptable combination of education and experience may be considered
- Willingness and ability to travel within Canada and internationally (between 4-8 trips annually)
- Class 5 driver’s license and a clean driving abstract; access to a vehicle is required (please confirm access to a vehicle in your cover letter)
If your passion for Winnipeg is matched by your proven track record in sales/business development nationally & internationally, and your strong ability to build rapport with diverse national and international clients and suppliers, this exceptional opportunity is ideal for you. Interested candidates can apply by submitting cover letters and resumes to email@example.com until 9am on November 30, 2020. Only applicants of interest will be contacted.