Director of Business Development
Director of Business Development
Application deadline: August 3, 2021 at 9 a.m.
The Director of Business Development is the most senior position on the YES! Winnipeg business development team, responsible for leading, managing, and supporting the business development team members in their day-to-day work; supporting new private-sector job creation, investment attraction, business-to-business relationships and YES! Winnipeg’s Business Retention and Expansion (BRE) program in Winnipeg and region. The Director of Business Development works in close collaboration with the VP of Sales and Business Development and other EDW Directors to advance the mandate of YES! Winnipeg, to identify and pursue high-potential business and investment opportunities that contribute meaningfully to the local economy.
- Act as an ambassador for the City of Winnipeg, the Province of Manitoba, and Economic Development Winnipeg – demonstrating the highest levels of professionalism, integrity, and class;
- Lead and manage the day-to-day operations of the YW Business Development team (the Team), sharing knowledge while providing advice, guidance, support and coaching to the Team to execute the YES! Winnipeg mandate of growing jobs, business, and capital investment in Winnipeg as directed;
- Manage and track team performance metrics as assigned, ensuring team members are meeting or exceeding targets to inform Quarterly Sales Bonus process, and managing underperformance when necessary. Where possible, resolve issues, manage challenges, and address conflict at the operational level, escalating to the VP as appropriate/when required;
- Coordinate human resources within the team, executing assigned elements of the hiring, dismissal, and performance management of staff;
- Ensure accuracy, transparency, and efficacy of assigned Team operational budgets, pulling together monthly budget reports while flagging issues and opportunities to VP Sales and Business Development as appropriate;
- Contribute to YES! Winnipeg strategic planning cycle as appropriate. Lead and coordinate development of the annual business development sector plan(s) in support of overall corporate plan, ensuring appropriate levels of consistency and interrelation. Accountability includes areas of focus, business activities, targets and deliverables, resources required, and demonstration of value for money.
Team Member Responsibilities:
- Build and maintain business knowledge across sectors of team responsibility at the local, national, and international levels. Track and analyze related economic risks and opportunities, investment trends, and technological advances, etc. to inform Winnipeg’s sector value proposition and competitive investment position;
- Lead through collaboration with our partners. Identify, build and maintain key relationships with clients, investors, industry associations, business groups and other organizations and stakeholders in support of strategic business objectives;
- Work collaboratively with municipal, provincial, and federal government partners from relevant departments, aligning and advancing these relationships to deliver on EDW corporate priorities while maintaining political awareness and sensitivity;
- Identify high-potential prospects for business investment retention, expansion, and attraction, taking the time to understand their opportunities and challenges and tailoring client services accordingly;
- Willingness and ability to travel within Canada and internationally.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- An experienced leader with management, budgetary and HR experience;
- Energetic, hard-working and passionate about strengthening Winnipeg’s economy;
- A natural self-starter, ability to work proactively and manage a diverse portfolio of files;
- Strong judgement and the ability to anticipate and diffuse potential issues before they occur;
- Ability to think creatively and work well independently and within a team environment;
- Strong aptitude for strategic networking and relationship building;
- Flexible and adaptable with the ability to multi-task and respond in a dynamic environment;
- Results-driven and detail-oriented as well as a strategic thinker with superb analytical skills;
- Excellent business acumen and understanding of what a business needs to succeed;
- Politically astute, a basic understanding of the language of government and how to work with it effectively;
- Excellent communicator, including superior presentation, listening and writing skills;
- Exceptional professionalism and the ability to present well in representing Winnipeg and EDW at the C-suite level.
- A minimum of 3-5 years management/leadership experience in a related sales or business development role;
- Bachelors or Master’s degree in a business-related field;
- Minimum 5-7 years of professional experience;
- A successful track record of strategic business development, sales, or a related discipline;
- Experience delivering results in a fast paced, multi-disciplinary business environment;
- Computer literacy/proficiency with Microsoft Office products and CRM platforms; and
- Class 5 driver’s license with access to own vehicle and clean driving abstract.
If your passion for Winnipeg is matched by your proven track record in business administration and your strong ability to build rapport with diverse clients and suppliers, this exceptional opportunity is ideal for you. Interested candidates can apply by submitting cover letters and resumes to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be accepted until 9 am Tuesday, August 3, 2021. Applicants of interest will be contacted for an interview.