Business Analyst - Foreign Direct Investment (FDI)
Economic Development Winnipeg (EDW) is looking for a dynamic, engaging and connected business professional who is passionate about Winnipeg and its future and is interested in making a meaningful impact in our community. If you believe in our city and are a natural ambassador for what makes Winnipeg great, consider joining our dynamic and growing team!
The Business Analyst – Foreign Direct Investment (FDI) is an important position in the YES! Winnipeg department of Economic Development Winnipeg (EDW), reporting to the Director of Foreign Direct Investment. This position is responsible for effectively managing the workflow of the investment attraction processes, as well as the data & business platforms used in the FDI Toolbox. Important objectives of this position also include the improvement of the investment attraction processes and assisting the validation of domestic and international investment leads in coordination with the business development team. A dynamic investment attraction process is fundamental to attracting and retaining foreign direct investments to Winnipeg and the region in a timely fashion that allows EDW to compete to win.
- Conduct analysis on the background of the target companies identified as leads in the investment attraction funnel (and communicate the results with the respective sector lead in the business development team);
- Utilize up-to-date knowledge on Winnipeg’s value proposition in our key economic sub-sectors to conduct the necessary assessment of the value of the investment leads captured in the investment attraction funnel for the Business Development team;
- Work with the Business Development team to validate the investment leads that qualify to be converted to investment opportunities based on the value of the project and probabilities of successfully landing the project in Winnipeg;
- Ensure the Business Development team sector lead has the necessary information to make an informed decision on investment leads that can be converted to investment opportunities;
- Coordinate with the Foreign Direct Investment team the timely processing of the investment leads in the investment attraction funnel to ensure that leads are converted or closed within five (5) working days;
- Ensure that the conversion has properly been conducted in our CRM, Salesforce, by capturing the value of the potential investment, jobs to create (on day one and maturity) as well as the timelines associated to the beginning of the project;
- Leverage the data sets and business platforms that comprise the FDI Toolbox to extract potential investment targets based on the knowledge built on the value propositions of each of the economic sub-sector of priority to EDW;
- Review and analyze the processes involved in working investment targets throughout the investment attraction funnel and make recommendations to continuously improve the workflow involved;
- Develop recommendations to the Foreign Direct Investment and Business Development teams on trends and opportunities identified in the key international markets as it relates to our economic sub-sectors of focus that can help these teams in improving the investment outreach planning;
- Develop recommendations based on research in best practices in investment attraction, business retention and expansion;
- Evaluate the root causes behind the unsuccessful movement of target investments throughout the validation processes in the investment attraction funnel (i.e. lost leads or closed/inactive leads);
- Coordinate effective communication between the Foreign Direct Investment & Business Development teams and the Marketing Intelligence team;
- Create, maintain and update data sets and infographics pertinent to the Foreign Direct Investment Team;
- Work closely with the Market Intelligence team to automate/generate data products that serve the FDI team's objectives; and
- Manage a diverse range of reactive requests, multi-tasking and re-prioritizing to meet deadlines.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Energetic, hard-working and passionate about strengthening Winnipeg’s economy;
- Practices critical thinking to process important levels of complex information regularly, well-developed critical thinking skills are imperative for the success of this role;
- A natural self-starter, ability to work proactively and manage a diverse portfolio of files;
- Strong judgement and the ability to anticipate and diffuse potential issues before they occur;
- Ability to think creatively and work well independently and within a team environment;
- Strong aptitude for strategic networking and relationship building;
- Excellent business acumen and understanding of what a business needs to succeed;
- Excellent communicator, including superior presentation, listening and writing skills; and
- Strong knowledge of the sales process and adept at using CRM or Business Intelligence (BI) tools to generate reports and dashboards is an asset.
- Bachelor’s/Master’s degree in business administration, economics or other related graduate degree is required;
- Minimum 5 years' experience in the field of economic/business development focused on competitive market research/intelligence is required;
- Professional experience in international business and investment attraction;
- Computer literacy/proficiency with Microsoft Office products as well as CRM and virtual platforms;
- Speaking a language other than English is considered a strong asset; and
- An acceptable combination of education and experience may be considered.
- Openness to participate in business events and meetings outside of regular business hours when required; and
- Class 5 driver’s license, a clean driving abstract and access to a vehicle is required.
DIVERSE TEAMS CREATE BETTER IDEAS AND GROWTH IN OUR CITY!
A strong connector between business, industry, educational institutions and governments, Economic Development Winnipeg knows the most diverse teams bring about the best results when it comes to innovation, growth and impact on a community.
Economic Development Winnipeg values team members who are diverse in age, gender identity, race and cultural backgrounds, sexual orientation, physical and mental abilities. Diverse voices are critical in the next chapter of Winnipeg’s economic growth and contribute to our city’s success.
HOW TO APPLY
Fully vaccinated interested candidates can apply by submitting cover letters and resumes to email@example.com. Applications will be accepted until 9 a.m. Monday, October 2nd, 2023 and applicants of interest will be contacted for an interview.