Director of Business Development - Tourism
Economic Development Winnipeg (EDW), through its Tourism Winnipeg (TW) team, is looking for a dynamic, engaging and connected business leader who is passionate about Winnipeg and its future, and interested in making a meaningful impact in our community. If you believe in our city, have a background in business development and are a natural ambassador for what makes Winnipeg great, consider joining our dynamic and growing team!
The Director of Business Development is responsible for leading, managing and supporting the tourism business development team members in their day-to-day work. Responsibilities include increasing overnight visitations to Winnipeg by attracting meetings and conventions, sports and special events and group travel from the Canadian, U.S. and international markets. The Director of Business Development leads the group of Business Development Managers to develop sales strategies and maximizing business opportunities that will result in increased tourism revenues.
- Increasing tourism expenditures in the meetings and conventions, sports and special events and travel trade markets
- Lead growth in all markets as identified in the strategic plan
- Manage the daily, monthly and quarterly action plans of the Business Development Managers and Visitor Services teams
Business Development Activities
- Develop sales strategies, objectives, tactics and sales plans to increase tourism revenues
- Develop strong relationships with internal and external stakeholders
- Keep well informed of market trends and awareness of shifts in the marketplace
- Maximize new business opportunities with the Business Development Managers
- Review weekly sales activities of the Business Development Managers
- Ensure activities of client services, sales administrator are on track
- Collaborate with Marketing and Branding to ensure marketing collateral has the right messaging
- Collaborate with Market Intelligence to generate surveys and develop competitive analysis reports as required
- Present Winnipeg’s value propositions at local, regional and national tourism events
- Lead industry committee meetings with stakeholders
- Participate on major events and convention host committees
- Maximize collaboration with industry stakeholders by developing relationships and building partnerships with the local tourism hospitality sector
- Utilize Salesforce (CRM) to maintain accurate and detailed records of prospect leads, new business, sales calls and existing client interaction
- Compile monthly statistics and reports of the activities of the Business Development Managers
- Compile monthly servicing statistics
- Actively engage on Tourism Winnipeg’s social media platform
- Manage the budget
- Undertake special projects as required
- Work responsibly in accordance with the Corporation’s Policy Playbook
SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Excellent knowledge of the tourism industry
- Ability to motivate and lead a team
- Highly energized, flexible and results-oriented with a drive to succeed
- Excellent skills in account management, direct sales and sales presentations
- Strong interpersonal skills and aptitude for relationship building and strategic networking
- Ability to work well independently and within a team environment
- Experience with budget management
- Must be flexible and adaptable to change
- Post-secondary education from an accredited college or university
- Minimum 5 years’ experience in sales, account management and business development
- Experience networking with senior level management and the business community
- Experience in working in a database management system and MS Office applications
- French/English bilingualism an asset
- Valid driver’s license and access to a reliable vehicle
- Travel within Canada and Internationally is required
- Must be available to work extended hours as required
DIVERSE TEAMS CREATE BETTER IDEAS AND GROWTH IN OUR CITY!
As a connector between business, industry, educational institutions and governments, Economic Development Winnipeg knows the most diverse teams bring about the best results when it comes to innovation, growth and impact on a community.
Economic Development Winnipeg values team members who are diverse in age, gender identity, race and cultural backgrounds, sexual orientation, physical and mental abilities. Diverse voices are critical in the next chapter of Winnipeg’s economic growth and contribute to our city’s success.
HOW TO APPLY
If your passion for Winnipeg is matched by your proven track record as a collaborative and motivating sales leader, and an ability to execute effectively on business development and corporate strategies, then this opportunity is ideal for you. This position requires a natural ability to build rapport with diverse business leaders, partners, and staff.
Fully vaccinated, interested candidates can apply by submitting cover letters and resumes to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be accepted until 9 a.m. Friday, December 1, 2023 and applicants of interest will be contacted for an interview.