Who We Are, What We Do
Economic Development Winnipeg Inc. (EDW) is the lead economic development agency for Winnipeg, encompassing EDW, YES! Winnipeg and Tourism Winnipeg. EDW facilitates investment promotion and attraction, capacity building, tourism development and the management of market data. By utilizing competitive intelligence and by fostering relationships with industry leaders, government officials and community stakeholders, EDW evaluates potential opportunities and innovation drivers to develop key industries and define opportunities for future economic growth. EDW also supports targeted sector, community and social development, and promotes Winnipeg’s diverse economy and high quality of life.
EDW leads global investment attraction, and local business retention and expansion, with its YES! Winnipeg sales force. YES! Winnipeg’s business development team assists in the creation and retention of jobs, identifies opportunities that attract new investment, focuses on expansion and helps local entrepreneurs launch new commercial ventures.
Tourism Winnipeg is the city’s official destination marketing organization tasked with increasing visitation and delivering the best possible visitor experience. A division of Economic Development Winnipeg Inc., Tourism Winnipeg’s mission is to facilitate a healthy, prosperous, responsible and fully integrated tourism industry that enhances Winnipeg’s economic growth through the acquisition of meetings, conventions, sports and events, group travel and leisure tourism.
To promote and influence economic growth in Winnipeg.
To ensure Economic Development Winnipeg Inc. is recognized as a leader, nationally and internationally, in stimulating economic growth for the city of Winnipeg.
EDW strives to lead, facilitate and promote Winnipeg’s economic development and tourism development efforts.
EDW has adopted a core set of values that define the manner in which affairs are conducted. These fundamental constructs are as follows:
Integrity – Honest, trustworthy and fair
Respect – Valuing opinions and ideas
Responsibility – Transparent and results-driven
Leadership – Activators and motivators
Innovation – Creative, adaptable and agents of change
Collaboration – Relationship-building with stakeholders
Economic Development Winnipeg's core services and initiatives include:
- Economic development
- Market regional advantages to attract investment
- Evaluate issues critical to Winnipeg’s economic development
- Act as an industry advocate and liaison
- Support the growth and global competitiveness of key industries
- Assist new companies with site selection
- Connect businesses and build relationships
- Market Winnipeg’s business environment
- Target opportunities for business development
- Provide community and lifestyle information
- Information and research management
- Communications and media relations
YES! Winnipeg showcases why Winnipeg is an ideal location and steadfast economic climate for business growth. YES! Winnipeg facilitates connections to the people and organizations that can successfully address key decision triggers. Most often this includes:
- Navigating government assistance programs
- Uncovering pathways to key government officials for permits/approvals
- Connecting to the right people/workforce/talent
- Sourcing strategic suppliers
- Locating ideal real estate for each project
- Identifying financing and capital investment partners
YES! Winnipeg is focused on assisting business retention, expansion and attraction within ten key sectors:
- Advanced Manufacturing
- Creative Industries
- Information, Communications and Technology (ICT)
- Energy & Environment
- Financial Services
- Life Sciences
- Transportation & Distribution
A key division within Economic Development Winnipeg Inc. is Tourism Winnipeg. Tourism Winnipeg is the city’s destination marketing organization. It is responsible for attracting new tourism business to Winnipeg and increasing overnight visitations to the city through a vast array of collaborative initiatives with industry and partners.
Tourism Winnipeg's core services and initiatives include:
- Lead destination sales and marketing; leverage partnership opportunities
- Collaborate with industry, acting as an industry advocate and liaison
- Attract meetings and conventions, sports and special events, travel trade and leisure travel
- Leverage travel media
- Lead city bids and proposals
- Provide visitor services
- Information and research management
- Communication and media relations
- Shared services
- Financial management