Grow Better: OEM and Suppliers
Come build a future in Winnipeg. We’ve manufactured a solid reputation for producing high-value, well-designed and engineering-intensive goods for satisfied customers around the world. Advanced manufacturing includes original equipment manufacturers (OEMs) both large and small, as well as suppliers of components and specialized services. We’re also increasingly becoming a renowned centre for advanced materials like biofibre composites.
North America’s largest centre for bus manufacturing, Winnipeg is also known for building fire engines, semi-trailers and storage tanks for agriculture and oil and gas. From precision machining and sheet-metal fabrication to kitchen cabinets, countertops and finely crafted furniture, Winnipeg manufacturers put quality first and build things to last. And they have a very stable system of suppliers and skilled workers supporting them.
With the tools to build your business and unparalleled distribution channels to transport goods, your company will grow better in Winnipeg.
Winnipeg is one of North America’s most cost-competitive locations for manufacturing, supported by a highly skilled and hardworking labour force, among the lowest published electricity rates in North America, competitive manufacturing tax credits, the elimination of tariffs on the import of manufacturing inputs and a robust and cost-competitive transportation and logistics infrastructure.
As of 2016, Manitoba’s major manufacturing sub-sectors by revenue included:
- Food manufacturing ($4.1 billion)
- Transportation equipment manufacturing ($2.8 billion)
- Machinery manufacturing ($1.8 billion)
- Chemical manufacturing ($1.3 billion)
- Fabricated metal ($0.8 billion)
Plastics, furniture, wood products, printing, paper, electrical and computer equipment, and medical devices are also manufactured in Winnipeg, all with industry revenues in the hundreds of millions of dollars.
- Advanced manufacturing is Winnipeg’s (CMA) largest industrial sector, representing 9.9 percent of the city’s GDP and 9.8 percent of all employment in 2016.
- As of 2017, Winnipeg’s (CMA) diverse manufacturing base is comprised of 1,431 business establishments employing a skilled workforce of around 42 thousand workers.
- In 2016, Manitoba’s manufacturing industry had $17.4 billion in revenues.
- Winnipeg has one of the highest internal rates of return in North America for a new investment by a manufacturing firm.
Major Manufacturing Revenue Stats for Manitoba
Source: Statistics Canada (2016)
Advanced manufacturing makes up...
GDP (Winnipeg CMA)
Businesses (Winnipeg CMA)
Total Revenue (MB)
Sources: Conference Board of Canada (2016), Statistics Canada (2016)
Large Manufacturers in Winnipeg
|New Flyer / Motor Coach Industries||Vehicle Manufacturing||2,986||1,019||5,100|
|MacDon Industries Ltd.||Agricultural Equipment||N/A||N/A||1,200|
|WGI Westman Group Inc.||Building Products||416||N/A||1,600|
|Buhler Industries Inc.||Agricultural Equipment||274||N/A||862|
|Ag Growth International Inc.||Grain Handling||532||50||1,900|
|Pollard Banknote Limited||Publishing||246||N/A||1,200|
|Empire Industries Ltd.||Fabricated Steel||118||37||800|
|Granny's Poultry Cooperative (Manitoba)||Food Manufacturing||130||20||500|
* Total employees in Winnipeg
Revenue and employment figures represent global operations for firms with global and/or Canadian headquarters in Winnipeg