Winnipeg is the ‘Cultural Cradle’ of Canada, known for its vibrant arts and culture scene lauded by media and artists worldwide. The talent is as diverse as the architecture, which draws the creative class here. From bricks and beams, turn-of-the-century structures and neighbourhoods to modern design, the city consistently appeals and inspires skilled creative professionals including:
- Architects and designers
- Writers and performers
- Artists and animators
- Actors, skilled film crews and directors
- Production companies and agencies
Winnipeg is a hotbed for studios engaged in new media, including digital imaging, animation and special effects, interactive games and audio/visual production.
Winnipeg attracts creative professionals and builds communities with our:
- Business Friendly Immigration Policies
Competitive Tax Credit Programs
- Growing and Talented Workforce
- Diverse and Stable Economy
- Sisler High School’s CREATE program offers students three main streams: Graphic Design, Interactive Digital Media, and Motion Picture Arts. By combining technical training from vocational and innovative educators with industry mentorship and internship opportunities, the CREATE program brings job-readiness into focus.
- Red River College's new 2-year Game Design and Development program (launching in 2020/2021) combines 3D artists and game programmers in an innovative cross over curriculum allowing for both teams to work together on a fully realized video game. Both programs are designed to produce home grown talent.
Winnipeg Success Stories
Ubisoft is a triple-A game studio known for its work on gamer favourites, Far Cry and Assassins Creed. Ubisoft prides itself on designing a workspace that encourages collaboration and creativity, which is why it chose to set up in the dense and highly connected Exchange District in the heart of the Winnipeg. Watch this testimonial here.
Tangent Animation, founded in Winnipeg and continuing to expand here, is so much more than an animation studio. It continues to dig for creative solutions using breakthrough technology. Tangent's recent co-production, Next Gen, has become a Netflix animated hit.
Cartel is an LA based feature film & television production and management company with offices in Winnipeg representing top-tier show runners, show creators, writers, directors, producers, talent and production companies in film, TV and new media. They work closely with Hallmark, which has filmed more than 10 movies, using Winnipeg locations and talent.
Total GDP MB
Total Businesses, Winnipeg, CMA
Total number of workers, Winnipeg CMA
of Manitoba production companies are owned by Women
Public Sector Support
- Manitoba Film and Video Production Tax Credit – Permanent program provides up to 65 per cent rebate on eligible Manitoba labour expenditures, or 38 per cent on all eligible Manitoba production costs including labour
- Interactive Digital Media Tax Credit – Refundable tax credit up to 40 per cent on qualified labour, marketing and distribution
- For more information, visit our incentives page.
Manitoba Film and Music
Manitoba Film and Music supports Manitoba film and music through their objectives, which are to create, stimulate, employ and invest in Manitoba by developing and promoting Manitoba companies, producing and marketing film, television, video and music recording projects as well as to promote Manitoba as a film location for off-shore production companies.
Manitoba Music is the hub of Manitoba’s vibrant music community. They are a member-based, not-for-profit industry association representing over 750 members in all facets of the music industry, including artists and bands, studios, agents, managers, songwriters, venues, promoters, producers, and beyond. Through their programs and services, they provide information, education, communication, advocacy, industry development, and networking opportunities to nurture, develop and promote the growth and sustainability of the Manitoba music industry.
New Media Manitoba
New Media Manitoba (NMM) is the industry association responsible for growth in the interactive digital media space. NMM is made up of over 100 companies whose innovative products and services include mobile apps, video games, augmented and virtual reality and more.
On Screen Manitoba
On Screen Manitoba (OSM) leads, builds and represents the Manitoba media production industry. As a non-profit provincial industry association, the OSM membership includes individuals (producers, writers and directors), labour organizations, production companies, service suppliers, training organizations, film festivals and other stakeholders, representing some 2000 industry professionals.