Economic Development Inc. Launches Suite of Capital Planning Tools for Entrepreneurs
June 11, 2012: Winnipeg, MB – Economic Development Winnipeg Inc. (EDW), utilizing the National Research Council’s Industrial Research Assistance Program and in collaboration with community stakeholders, has developed a suite of Capital Planning Tools for Entrepreneurs.
EDW will be delivering this suite of resources to Innovate Manitoba, Startup Canada’s provincial ambassador, tonight at a networking reception for entrepreneurs; media are invited to attend (details below).
Innovate Manitoba, together with Red River College and EDW are hosting a networking reception for entrepreneurs from 4 p.m. - 6 p.m. at the Roblin Centre, Red River College Downtown Campus. In support of Innovate Manitoba’s programs for entrepreneurs, EDW will be presenting the organization with a suite of materials designed to support the entrepreneurial development process.
“Economic Development Winnipeg is committed to building community capacity, strengthening community partnerships and supporting local entrepreneurs as a means to further grow our economy,” said Marina R. James, president and CEO of EDW. “These tools will support local service providers in the work that they do to promote financial literacy and better equip them to service their clients.”
The Capital Planning Tools for Entrepreneurs have been developed in an effort to:
- Equip local entrepreneurial development and business support service providers with tools, knowledge and processes that will augment their ability to assist clients requiring support in identifying and addressing capital planning opportunities and challenges
- Provide a “Financing Roadmap” framework that describes the broad spectrum of financing options available to Manitoba firms. The framework encompasses the broad spectrum of financing options available including traditional debt, self-financing, alternate financing sources and a range of equity capital options. The focus is on identifying appropriate sources of capital based on the individual firm needs and their state of development
- Provide support to the service providers’ position in the market place by encouraging greater commonality in language
- Bring visibility to the range and scope of community support services available to emerging entrepreneurs through a variety of outlets within the community
All materials will be made available by Innovate Manitoba for free use and adaptation by Manitoba entrepreneurial support organizations.
“Innovate Manitoba is committed to fostering a culture of innovation and entrepreneurship in the province,” said Jan Lederman, president of Innovate Manitoba. “We need to support entrepreneurs who are driven to create or expand high-growth businesses oriented to world markets. The Capital Planning Tools for Entrepreneurs will help entrepreneurs navigate the path from idea, to startup, to emerging growth, to market leader, a little more smoothly.“
The generic capital planning tool kit that was developed for the Manitoba community consists of the following interrelated materials:
- Financing Roadmap framework graphical slides
- A Business and Capital Planning Primer and Guide to Investment
- Business and Capital Planning Workbook
Media are invited to attend Startup Canada’s networking reception.
When: Monday, June 11 4:00 p.m.– 6:00p.m.
Where: Roblin Centre, Red River College - 160 Princess Street
About Economic Development Winnipeg Inc.
Economic Development Winnipeg Inc. (EDW) is a not-for-profit organization that leads and facilitates investment, partnership, capacity building, tourism and the management of market information. EDW leads global business attraction, and local business retention and expansion with its Yes! Winnipeg business development team, facilitates targeted sector development, and promotes Winnipeg’s diverse economy and high quality of life. Through its Tourism Winnipeg division, EDW also facilitates a healthy, prosperous, responsible and fully-integrated tourism industry that further enhances the city of Winnipeg’s economic growth.
Led by a private sector board with core funding from the City of Winnipeg and Province of Manitoba, EDW promotes Winnipeg as an ideal place to live, work, invest and visit.
About Innovate Manitoba Inc.
Innovate Manitoba Inc. is a non-profit, province-wide organization with programs dedicated to linking researchers, inventors and entrepreneurs to the resources they need to succeed. It is an integrated hub for all innovation-related activities in Manitoba, focused on accelerating innovation and commercialization in the province.
For further information please contact:
Project Manager, Marketing & Communications
Economic Development Winnipeg Inc.
President, Innovate Manitoba Inc.