Local business support checklist
There’s no better time than now for Winnipeg to come together to support each other, and find ways to recover and stay afloat during this time.
So many of us are doing our part to support local businesses in the best ways we can. We’ve compiled a list of ideas to help maximize your support for businesses throughout the duration of this situation.
Stay home, order in
- Currently, Winnipeg restaurants and bars are restricted to carry-out and delivery services. We’ve created an up-to-date page for Winnipeg restaurants offering to-go and delivery. Plus, Tourism Winnipeg’s Peg City Grub has a robust guide of local restaurants recommendations, at-home meal kits and prepared foods.
- Take part in Canada Takeout Day – an initiative created to support and promote restaurants across Canada still offering takeout. Order a meal every Wednesday, snap a picture and use the #TakeoutDay hashtag. Don’t forget to tag the restaurant you ordered from, too!
- One of the simplest ways to help out members of Winnipeg’s service industry is to tip generously to restaurants and delivery drivers. Winnipeg-headquartered, SkipTheDishes has also created a “tip the restaurant” function to help you show support.
Shop small businesses
- Find your favourite local business on localfutures.ca and pick your amount to give to each campaign. Your contribution isn’t a donation, it’s a purchase of support which will be repaid in the form of a future discount.
- Visit buylocal.ly for a free directory of local restaurants, shops and services with pickup and delivery options during COVID-19.
- Purchase gift cards from local businesses to use later.
Shout-out on social media
- Like, comment and share posts by your favourite local businesses. This makes posts more likely to reach new customers, who may not have known about a business before.
- Leave a review online. Google places you’ve ordered from, and leave a review to showcase how special each business is to you.
- Send a message of support via social media, thanking your favourite business for their service.