Winnipeg is a remarkable centre of discovery where biotechnology, agriculture and medical technology converge. We are the leading pharmaceutical manufacturing centre in Western Canada. Manitoba is home to 38 life sciences research & development centres, including the Winnipeg-based Canadian Science Centre for Human and Animal Health, which is the only Level 4 bio-containment lab in the country.
Our cannabis processing industry is expanding with the development of a 120,000 sq. ft. cannabis cultivation facility and a 51,000 sq. ft. cannabis edibles processing facility.
Life sciences companies and organizations grow stronger in Winnipeg because of our:
- central location: North America’s geographic centre with the continent’s largest trimodal inland port
- low-cost renewable electricity: among the lowest published electricity rates in North America
- R&D tax credits: best-in-country provincial top-up credit through the Scientific Research & Experimental Development Credit
- highly educated labour force: 1,100+ graduates from 62 post-secondary programs in Life Sciences (2019)
Winnipeg Success Stories
Cerebra Health will be developing its new Prodigy Sleep System™ and further advancing its digital sleep analysis software, as well as mySleepStudy®, a soon to be released home sleep study service.
$3.2 million / 2020
Kane Biotech Inc.
Kane Biotech Inc. is receiving repayable funding to commercialize a wound gel treatment for the human health market.
Up to $3.8 million / 2019
Edibles & Infusions
Vancouver-based AgraFlora International Inc. is partnering with a Winnipeg confectionery company in a joint venture called Edibles & Infusion. A retrofitted 51,000-sq.ft. building will create significant production capacity for the upcoming edibles market.
close to $15 million / 2019
- Cerebra Health Inc. completes a $3.2 million private financing, Bioscience Association Manitoba, 2020
- Bioscience Association Manitoba, Cerebra Health, Kane Biotech Inc. and Manitoba Technology Accelerator receive funding from Western Economic Diversification Canada, Bioscience Association Manitoba, 2019
- Merit Functional Foods Expanding Production Capacity Arranges $85 Million Debt Financing Package, Burcon, 2020
- Cannabis edibles facility being built in Winnipeg, Winnipeg Free Press, 2019
Fast FactsSource: Statistics Canada
Manitoba, Life Science, Real GDP, 2018 (Billions)
Winnipeg CMA, Life Sciences Employee Counts, 2018
Winnipeg CMA, Life Sciences, Business Establishments, 2018
Winnipeg CMA, Pharmaceutical and medicine manufacturing, Real GDP, 2018 (millions)
Research and Development
Canadian Centre for Agri-Food Research in Health and Medicine (CCARM)
Richardson Centre for Functional Foods and Nutraceuticals
Chronic Disease Innovation Centre
Canadian Science Centre for Human and Animal Health (home to the International Centre for Infectious Diseases)
Institute of Cardiovascular Sciences (St. Boniface Hospital)
George & Fay Yee Centre for Healthcare Innovation
Bioscience Association Manitoba
Bioscience Association Manitoba (BAM) supports 110 members across the province, ranging from agricultural biotechnology to health biotechnology to cleantech biotechnology. BAM helps members connect with key stakeholders and government officials by encouraging innovative partnerships.