Direct Spending from Events Supported by the Special Event Tourism Fund Estimated at $46.2M
June 13, 2013: Winnipeg, MB – The City of Winnipeg’s Special Event Tourism Fund (SETF) continues to attract new events and conventions, resulting in strong economic returns. In 2008, the SETF was created to attract world-class sporting events, special events and conventions. Future events in Winnipeg—such as the Juno Awards, Women’s FIFA World Cup and PGA Tour Canada Players Cup—boost the local economy and put Winnipeg in the spotlight in front of national and international audiences.
To date, the SETF has committed a total of $3.18 million to 72 conventions and major events spanning 2009-2020. The effect of these events collectively represents approximately $46.2 million in direct expenditures within Winnipeg.
“Winnipeg is able to remain competitive in attracting high-calibre sports, special events and conferences through the SETF,” says Mayor Sam Katz. “With the recent opening of Investors Group Field, and the Canadian Museum for Human Rights, Journey to Churchill and Winnipeg Convention Centre expansion on the horizon, this fund helps us to build on that momentum and bring the world to Winnipeg.”
The SETF has been instrumental in attracting several large-scale events. Some examples of events and conferences this fund has supported or will support in the coming years include:
- PGA Tour Canada, Players Cup, July 2013
- Canadian Association of Chiefs of Police Convention, August 2013
- Tim Hortons Roar of the Rings Olympic Curling Trials, December 2013
- The Canadian Academy of Recording Arts and Sciences- Juno Awards, March 2014
- Professional Photographers of Canada Imaging Conference and Tradeshow, April 2014
- World Indigenous Television Broadcasters Meeting, June 2014
- Canadian Amateur Men’s Golf Championships, August 2014
- GoMedia Canada Marketplace, August 2014
- International Association of Women Police Conference, September 2014
- Mennonite Economic Development Associates, November 2014
- Aboriginal Financial Officers, February 2015
- Badminton Canada- Junior & Under 23 National Championships, April 2015
- Association of Canadian Community Colleges, May 2015
- Women’s FIFA World Cup, June 2015
- The Wildlife Society, October 2015
- Federation of Canadian Municipalities, June 2016
- Canada Summer Games, August 2017
“Every city wants to host these events because they provide invaluable exposure, generate real dollars and boost civic pride,” says Marina R. James, president and CEO of Economic Development Winnipeg Inc.
“To help grow tourism in two of our markets—meetings and conventions, and sports and special events—the SETF fund offers incentives to help attract these prestigious events and conventions home, which benefits our local tourism industry and citizens of Winnipeg,” says Chantal Sturk-Nadeau, senior vice president, Tourism Winnipeg.
About the SETF
The SETF was established in 2008 after approval from Winnipeg’s City Council. The fund is generated through a portion of the City’s Accommodation Tax revenue. It is managed by Economic Development Winnipeg Inc. with representation from Tourism Winnipeg, and run in partnership with the City of Winnipeg and the Manitoba Hotel Association. Events that are eligible for the fund include national and international conventions, as well as sports and special events that meet certain criteria. The fund is not used for small local events or capital contributions.
About Economic Development Winnipeg Inc.
Economic Development Winnipeg Inc. (EDW) is the lead economic development agency for Winnipeg. EDW facilitates investment promotion and attraction, capacity building, tourism development, marketing and the management of market information. By applying competitive intelligence and by fostering relationships with industry leaders, government officials and community stakeholders, potential opportunities and innovation drivers are evaluated to develop key industries and define future economic growth. EDW supports targeted sector development and promotes Winnipeg’s diverse economy and high quality of life.
Tourism Winnipeg is the city’s official destination marketing organization tasked with increasing visitation and delivering the best possible visitor experience. A division of Economic Development Winnipeg Inc., Tourism Winnipeg’s mission is to facilitate a healthy, prosperous, responsible and fully integrated tourism industry that enhances Winnipeg’s economic growth through the acquisition of meetings, conventions, sports and events, group travel and leisure tourism.
For further information contact:
Project Manager, Marketing & Communications
Economic Development Winnipeg Inc.