Economic Development Winnipeg announces partnership with Google
WINNIPEG, MB - When visitors are looking for information about Winnipeg, most turn to the internet as their first resource. To help provide the most current and relevant destination information to tourists and residents, Economic Development Winnipeg (EDW), through Tourism Winnipeg, has entered into a partnership with Google through its Destination Marketing Organization (DMO) Partnership program.
This innovative partnership allows EDW to provide content directly onto Google’s Winnipeg information pages, providing tips and information directly to visitors. As Winnipeg’s DMO, EDW’s tourism expertise will now be included in the online profile for the city’s top landmarks, destinations, events, restaurants, and businesses.
Broadcasting and sharing more of EDW’s content through Google’s channels will provide visitors information about the city, upcoming events, great restaurants, iconic attractions and local businesses. Engaging with visitors through the DMO Partnership program helps EDW improve visitation to Winnipeg’s top attractions, while elevating the online presence of the city as a whole.
Maximizing Winnipeg’s online presence means providing quality content on Google’s platform. The DMO Partnership program allows EDW to verify local companies looking to claim their Google ‘My Business’ listing, allowing them to edit their company’s information that displays in Google Search and Maps.
EDW will help Winnipeg businesses optimize their Google My Business information, which shows contact information, hours of operation, reviews, as well as multimedia options such as images and videos, 360° video tours, and more.
- Globally, more than 1 billion individuals use Google Maps services every month.
- According to Google, consumers use mapping products 44 per cent of the time when searching for places, with 41 per cent of those searches resulting in an on-site visit.
- According to Google, listings with photos and virtual tours are twice as likely to generate interest than text-only listings.
- The DMO Partnership Program builds on last year’s successful Treks partnership with Google. During the summer of 2017, EDW staff were able to capture Google Street View imagery of some of the city’s best destinations, including the Assiniboine Park Zoo, The Forks and river walk, Upper Fort Garry, and FortWhyte Alive. Thanks to the organization’s investment in 360° camera technology, EDW is also able to provide more timely updates of Winnipeg’s landmarks and attractions.
“Winnipeg is a world-class tourist destination, and we’re seeing people take notice. The recent Lonely Planet list featuring Manitoba as one of the world’s top ten locations in the world to visit is further validation of Winnipeg’s world-class tourist status. With this reputation, we want to make sure our local businesses are showcased appropriately. By having our own content housed on multiple channels, we’re going where the visitors are.” – Dayna Spiring, president & CEO, Economic Development Winnipeg
“The way people are using the internet is changing. People aren’t just going to websites anymore, they’re looking at a variety of sources. Google is one of the world’s biggest influencers in the tourism industry, and we’re excited to be able to house more of our content on their platform.” – Cody Chomiak, director of marketing, Tourism Winnipeg
- Winnipeg’s Google Travel Guide resource page
- Tourism Winnipeg’s Google profile
- Tourism Winnipeg’s Local Guide page
About Economic Development Winnipeg Inc.
Economic Development Winnipeg Inc. (EDW) is the lead economic development agency for Winnipeg. EDW facilitates investment promotion and attraction, capacity building, tourism development and the management of market data. By utilizing competitive intelligence and by fostering relationships with industry leaders, government officials and community stakeholders, EDW evaluates potential opportunities and innovation drivers to develop key industries and define opportunities for future economic growth. EDW also supports targeted sector, community and social development, and promotes Winnipeg’s diverse economy and high quality of life.