Save your summer in Winnipeg
WINNIPEG, MB –Vacation plans may look a little different this year, but Tourism Winnipeg has you covered with great outdoor, culinary and family fun staycation ideas. Get ready to Save your summer in Winnipeg - the heart of Manitoba.
“This is a great time for Winnipeggers and Manitobans to be a tourist right here in Winnipeg this summer. Now that things are starting to open up again, plan a ‘staycation’. Come and explore and enjoy our city like a tourist and spend a night in one of our great hotels, have dinner at one of our spectacular restaurants and support local businesses at the same time,” says Economic Development Winnipeg, President & CEO, Dayna Spiring.
Here are some ideas:
Outdoor staycations: Make the most of Manitoba’s sun-drenched summers and explore Winnipeg’s lush and fabulous outdoor gems.
- Go on safari to see Canada’s largest urban bison herd, take a family trek across an urban nature oasis full of trails, wildlife watching, and lakes where kids can dip their nets at Fort Whyte Alive or set sights on Winnipeg’s green space crown jewel, Assiniboine Park, with spectacular gardens, numerous trails winding through forests, fields, tranquil duck pond, and family favourite, Assiniboine Park Zoo.
- Immerse yourself in the colours and cultures of the city while embarking on a self-guided mural tour or explore Arctic Alley and The Loop-Winnipeg's urban walking trail, a 9.5 km, 3.5 hour self-guided and curated walking tour that connects downtown, The Exchange District and St. Boniface.
- Look sweet, riding on the seat of a bicycle built for two from Bee 2 Gether Bike Rentals , which has kiosks with all manner of fun bicycles at fab local attractions like Assiniboine Park, The Forks and Birds Hill Park. Paddlin’ around the ‘Peg is easy with plenty of launch locations and canoe and kayak rentals options.
Culinary staycations: Find out what new and interesting options local restaurants, chefs and mixologists are cooking up and pouring out this summer.
- Sip a cold local brew at the city’s new beer garden, BeerCanWpg, a pop-up experience located at 222 Main Street, or tap into all of our city’s breweries/distilleries, ready to serve you in-person, with curbside pickup or delivery.
- Discover the “joie de vivre” of St. Boniface on a Tourisme Riel walking tour starting July 1 and relax with a snack, lunch or dinner at the great restaurants near Le Musée de Saint-Boniface.
- For al fresco culinary adventures, check out our list of Winnipeg patios or restaurants perfectly distanced and ready to welcome you. Feast on all the flavours available at St. Norbert Farmers’ Market which also features an incredible array of artisans all underneath one giant open-air structure just south of the city.
Family fun staycation packages: Be a tourist in your own city, make new discoveries about our history and get inspired
- Climb aboard the Nonsuch and set sail for England at the Manitoba Museum now open every weekend. Then, step into ‘a big space for big ideas’ June 17 at The Canadian Museum for Human Rights where the Lights of Inclusion floor activity encases kids of all ages in their own bubble of coloured light. Then, dine riverside at The Common at The Forks, Manitoba’s largest al fresco location with a fine selection of food kiosks, 20 wines and beers on tap.
- Slug some balls, race your buds, then save par (mini-style) at Thunder Rapids Amusement Park or get revved up with Grand Prix Amusements’ go-karts, bumper boats, batting cages and trampoline basketball or climb to new heights with Vertical Adventures 5,000 sq. ft. rock climbing gym.
- Inspire budding artists with a trip to the Winnipeg Art Gallery with free admission on the second Sunday of every month, day camps and drop-in tours.
Hotel Holiday Take these staycation adventures to the next level with an overnight stay at one of our great Winnipeg hotels offering everything from romantic and relaxing getaways, luxurious spa treatments to family-focused escapes with plenty of waterslide action and fun themes. People can also find great deals and packages on our website.
Go to www.summersavedwpg.com to uncover more inspirations for outdoor, family fun and culinary staycations, including our list of 50 ways to save your summer in Winnipeg.
We have provided B-roll and photos for your use. Please credit Tourism Winnipeg or name of photographer used.
Photo library: crowdriff gallery
Video b-roll: dropbox
About Economic Development Winnipeg Inc.
Economic Development Winnipeg Inc. (EDW) is the city’s lead economic development agency and champion for local growth. We use expert analysis to highlight the Winnipeg Advantage and prove why we are the best place to live, work and visit. Through the Tourism Winnipeg and YES! Winnipeg business development teams, EDW grows the local economy by attracting business, investment, events, meetings and people to our city. EDW is governed by a private-sector board and driven by the needs of the business community. www.economicdevelopmentwinnipeg.com.
For further information, please contact:
Corporate Creative Communications Manager
Economic Development Winnipeg Inc.