Explore and enjoy your city for National Tourism Week and beyond
Save your summer in Winnipeg
We are now at the start of National Tourism Week-which runs May 24-31.
We want to take this time to encourage you to become a tourist in your own city and support our tourism industry by enjoying staycations in Winnipeg. Now more than ever we realize the impact of tourism on our economy and its importance to Winnipeg.
When you support local hotels, restaurants, and shops in your own backyard it has a ripple effect.
In 2018 there were about 48,000 people employed in our tourism sector. We know that those numbers have been hurt by COVID-19 but every time you stay at a hotel, support a local shop, go to a restaurant patio or use take-out or delivery options, you ensure jobs stay in our economy, supply chains are maintained, shops, attractions and hotels stay viable.
Here are some ways to show your love for our local tourism industry:
- Discover the Winnipeg Loop, a 9.5 kilometre, 3.5-hour self-guided walking tour highlighting nearly 60 historical, architectural and cultural gems in our city
- Check out the great restaurants and shops that are open through the Buylocal.ly site or on our websites, Peg City Grub and Only in the Peg
- Socialize at a safe distance on some of our popular local patios that are now open
- Check out our attractions in person or online
- Stay at a hotel and enjoy exploring our city as a tourist for a few days
Winnipeggers and Manitobans have done a great job of flattening the curve. By continuing to follow health guidelines and protocols, we’re lowering the number of COVID cases in our province.
It puts us in a good position to weather and recover from the effects of the pandemic.
This is an advantage a lot of cities don’t have right now.
Let’s take this opportunity to enjoy a staycation. If you have had your vacation plans impacted this year, save your summer in Winnipeg and help the local businesses that make our city a great place to call home.